Pioneering Mars: Planning Seminars
In December of 2012, students from the four participating high schools were brought to the University of Southern Mississippi’s Gulf Coast Campus for a group seminar to plan the experiments. Students were divided into four groups that worked in two hour and a half long breakout sessions.
Facilitator Notes for the Four Groups
Supporting research articles for facilitators and teachers:
- ALL - Considerations for Life on Mars
- ALL - Hellas Planitia (Ideal Martian Site)
- ALL - Melas Chasma (Ideal Martian Site)
- AER - Martian Atmosphere
- SAL - Martian Brines
- SAL - Recipe for Martian Soil Extract
- LUX & VITA - Martian Radiation and Implications for Life
AER MARTIS – looked at issues of atmosphere and climate.
SAL MARTIS – considered aquatic and soil chemistry.
LUX MARTIS– planned for visible and UV light issues.
VITA MARTIS– worked on general issues with culturing life.